46th World Fantasy Convention
November 4-7, 2021, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Art Show Information and Rules
THIS IS A JURIED SHOW.
As World Fantasy is a professional conference, artists who want to display and sell their art in the art show must be approved by the art jury.
You are exempt from the jury process IF you have exhibited in a World Fantasy Convention℠ Art Show in 2 of the last 4 years, or have been a Guest of Honour at a World Fantasy Convention℠, or have been a World Fantasy Award℠ winner, or have exhibited in the Main Show at Illuxcon. You may request space and pay your fees now. All stated fees are in USD(CAD).
If you are not exempt, you must go through the jury process.
What to Send Us for the Jury Process
At least 3 but no more than 6 samples must be included in your submission.
Digital samples of your work are preferred, provided the size of the email containing the samples is no more than 1MB (send multiple emails if necessary), and the files are formatted as JPEG/JPG, GIF, PNG, or TIFF. If there is a web site that contains samples of your work, that web site address is likely all we need. Send digital submissions to .
Physical samples (tear sheets, photos, magazine covers, or slides) may be sent. Please do not send originals of any kind, full-size prints, or transparencies. If you would like your physical samples returned to you, you must include a SASE large enough to hold your samples, with sufficient postage.
Please contact the Art Director for the mailing address for physical samples.
We ask that you send your space request at the same time as your jury samples.
DO NOT SEND ANY FEES UNTIL YOU ARE APPROVED!
Sending the form will allow us to put your name on your space as soon as the jury has passed your work without the delay of another mailing. If you are approved for the show, we will send you a confirmation letter or email and an invoice for your requested space at that time. If you are NOT approved, we will send you notice of that as well.
Here is the link to the Art Show Entry Form
DEADLINE FOR JURY SUBMISSIONS IS September 23, 2021!
In order to exhibit in the World Fantasy Art show, whether physically or virtually, you must have a Supporting membership.
You must be an Attending Member to see anything outside the Art Show. Membership at any level lets you nominate for the World Fantasy Awards over the next two years.
Information about memberships and how to purchase them can be found here: https://wfc2021.org/membership/how-to-register
There will be space for both 2D and 3D work.
All 2D work will be hung on pegboard panels measuring 3 foot high by 3.5 foot wide. You may bring material to cover your panels, but please make sure it is flame-retardant (and have proof of this). We will supply hooks and clips to hang your work.
Tables are 6 feet long by 2.5 feet wide. Small 3D artwork (such as jewelry) should be in a lockable, closed display case. Small items without a case should be securely fastened to a larger display board or device. If possible, please supply shipping boxes with packing materials for when your 3D art sells, so that a buyer may safely transport it.
Please let us know if you have any special needs or requests (electricity for table displays, free-standing artwork space) and we will try to accommodate you.
If you are exhibiting your art physically, you will also be able to display additional pieces of art virtually—up to 10 images at no extra cost to you. Virtually displayed art will be sold directly by you (see “Virtual Exhibitor” for further information).
The Art Show software that we use will automatically convert fees and prices from USD to CAD. In the interest of easy math, we will round the CAD to the closest dollar amount.
Open to physically exhibiting artists only. There will be no commission on Print Shop sales. A flat fee of 2 USD per item entered will be charged. For example, if you enter 4 copies each of 4 different prints the fee will be 4 x 4 x $2 or 32 USD. Fees may be changed at check-in, if you change the quantities entered on your reservation form.
We are planning to have all copies of prints hung on long hooks on panels, so please have your prints matted, mounted, shrink-wrapped or sleeved for protection while displayed. Each print should be clearly marked on the back with the artist name, piece title, and price. There will also be a print shop ID tag supplied to you to put on each copy. No loose unmatted prints will be allowed in the Print Shop.
You may designate an Agent to bring your artwork to and from the Art Show. This person will be responsible for hanging your art and making any decisions regarding it at the convention. You must give them a letter authorising them to act for you to give to us at check-in, and list their name and address on the reservation form where indicated.
The shipping address for artwork will be included in your confirmation letter. All art shipped to the show must be shipped pre-paid. Please use reusable cartons/packing material and avoid packing peanuts if possible. The convention will not be responsible for damage to mail-in pieces. Unless you specify another carrier or a different amount of return insurance, your art will be returned within one month of the show via post, insured for minimum bid value. You must also include payment for return shipping with your artwork. You will be notified with tracking numbers when your art is shipped.
There is mail-in fee of 10USD. You must also have a supporting membership for the convention in order to mail in art. A supporting membership is currently 50 USD/70 CAD and entitles you to all published materials and to nominate for next two years’ World Fantasy Awards. (The supporting membership requirement will be waived if you are a past WFC Guest of Honour).
If you do not plan to attend the convention, you may still display your art virtually. We will have an online exhibit space where you can display your art. We will have a monitor in the Art Show displaying these pages throughout the show. Members (in person and virtual) will also be able to access online pages from the main convention website.
You will need to provide us with a URL to have a link to your website or online store, and a short bio and contact information on our website.
Any sales done virtually will be done by the artist, and shipping to the buyer is the artist’s responsibility.
You can exhibit up to 10 images on your page, with a maximum file size of 5 MB and a maximum image size of 2000 x 3000 pixels wide and tall.
In the online environment, a convention member could use a screen capture tool or other methods to take a snapshot of art. We respect the artist’s intellectual property, and suggest you watermark images to discourage misuse.
There will be a fee of 25USD for entering virtual art only and you must have a Supporting Membership. For an example of a virtual art gallery, please go here:
You will need a free Second Life account to view this gallery.
We will also have a simple WordPress display on our website for those who want a standard website experience.
If you want to do something creative with your virtual exhibit, please contact us at:
Payment for Fees
Fees must be paid in Canadian or US dollars drawn upon a Canadian or US bank, payable to “World Fantasy 2021”. We process online payments through Stripe and payment can be rendered in any form that they accept (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB, Diners Club, China UnionPay, debit cards.). We also can accept payments via Square, and Paypal. For Canadians we also can accept INTERAC e-transfers.
Panel fees are 50USD for a 3′ high x 3.5′ wide, with a maximum of 6 panels per artist.
Table fees are 40USD for a 3′ long by 2.5′ (½ table), with a maximum of 2 full tables per artist.
If you require more space, please contact us at :
We will charge a 5% commission on total physical Art Show (not Print Shop) sales in excess of 2,000USD.
We will not charge any commission on any sale made virtually; however original artwork may be sold through one venue (physical or virtual) but not both.
Payment for Sales
Artists will be paid for artwork sold by the art show between six and eight weeks after the convention. No payments will be made at the convention. Cheques will be payable to the Artist’s legal name as shown on the registration form, unless you specify another payee or business name.
We can pay Canadian artists through INTERAC e-Transfer.
All fees and commissions are subject to Quebec sales taxes (5% GST, 9.975% QST).
Within North America, we are organising a consolidated shipment from the US to Canada. If you wish to take part, please contact the Art Director for details.
In general, the USMCA allows entry of original art without tariff but multiples (ie “prints) are subject to tariff. If you choose to enter with your art on your own, make sure to register your art in your home country, as to avoid customs issues upon re-entry.
For artists outside of North America, please contact the Art Show Director for customs information specific to your country.
All pieces are sold without any reproduction rights. We will provide each artist with a list of their physical pieces sold with the names and addresses of the purchasers.
If you wish to bring a special display for your art, we will try to accommodate you. All such requests will be handled individually.
Be prepared for the Art Show staff to handle your sold artwork. Please provide packing materials for small 3D objects.
We deposit all payments as they are received. This does not guarantee that every artist will get all the space they request. Refunds will be made for excess fees.
There is no Artist Alley but there will be an Art Show Reception on Saturday evening for all convention members during which artists can discuss their work in front of their displays.
Precise paperwork instructions and a timeline will be sent with your confirmation materials. Our software is online and you may enter your information upon your acceptance into the art show.
August 1, 2021 --- Start accepting applications
August 1, 2021 --- Start accepting space reservations and fees for non-juried artists
September 30, 2021 --- Deadline for jury submissions
September 30, 2021 --- Deadline for non-juried artist reservations and fees
October 1 , 2021 --- Jury decisions made
October 15, 2021 --- ALL artists notified of acceptance into show and amount of space granted
October 15, 2021 --- Mail-in and virtual artwork must be received (address for shipping supplied with acceptance)
January 5, 2022 --- All payments to artists finalised and sent.
- Artists are encouraged to show predominantly new works of a Fantasy, Horror (Dark Fantasy), or similar theme. Science fiction art with fantasy elements is also acceptable. Only original artwork will be hung in the show. There will be no “resold” artwork allowed—all work must be the property of the artist exhibiting at the show. An agent may be designated to bring artwork to and from the show.
- Single, signed copies of “Fine Art Prints” from a limited edition (100 or less) may be displayed in the main Art Show. Fine Art prints are hand-made by the artist from a physical object (e.g., lithographic stones, etching plates, silk-screens, photographic material, etc.).
- “Mechanically produced prints” are entirely produced by a mechanical device without handwork by the artist (e.g., giclee, inkjet, laserprint, offset, color copier, etc.) from any kind of original (including all-digital). Artists are requested to hang such art in the Print Shop only.
- The 46th WFC reserves the right to refuse the exhibition of any piece for any reason. Works that are judged to be libelous, plagiaristic, obscene, or detrimental to the value of trademarked properties will not be permitted. Likewise, no artwork from commercial patterns, kits, or molds is permitted. If you have any questions, include a sample of the questionable piece with your jury materials. If problems arise, you may be requested to not show a particular piece.
- All 2-Dimensional artwork must be matted, or mounted, or framed. If framed, please have a hanging wire on the back. When creating your display, please allow enough room for bid sheets. Small 3-Dimensional artwork (such as jewelry) must be in a lockable, closed display case. Small items without a case should be securely fastened to a larger display board or device. Limited display case space may be available; please ask. The 46th WFC is not responsible for theft or damage to small pieces displayed without these precautions.
- All artwork must be clearly labeled. A bid sheet must be made out for all pieces, whether or not for sale. The piece number must be on the back/bottom of each piece (or on stickers which will be provided), as well as the artist’s name and piece title.
- Once entered in the show no piece may be withdrawn before the close of the show on Sunday, nor may the conditions of sale, amount of minimum bid, Quick Sale price, NFS status, etc. be changed without the express approval of the Art Show Director.
- The Art Show will be set up on Wednesday. Art will be accepted for display starting sometime on Thursday in the late morning. A receipt will be issued for all art accepted. Artwork may not be reclaimed without this receipt and identification. If you cannot reclaim your art yourself, please make prior arrangements for your agent with the Art Show Director.
- There will be a silent auction only. Each bid sheet will have space for 5 written bids. Sheets will be added as necessary.
- Photography will ONLY be allowed within the Art Show by permission of the Art Show Director. Please do not give anyone permission to photograph your artwork in the Art Show unless you are present. Press photographers may be allowed to take wide-angle shots of the room, or photograph a particular artist’s panels with the artist present.
- There will be a “Quick Sale” option for buyers. If there are no bids on the piece, it may be purchased immediately for the price you set (we recommend at least 150% of the minimum bid). The piece may not be removed from the show until pickup on Sunday, so it will still be displayed. If you do not wish to use this option, put “N/A” in that space on the control and bid sheets.
- By submitting a signed reservation form, you agree that you have read and will abide by this entire document.
- The Parties hereto have expressly agreed that this Agreement as well as all other documents relating thereto be drawn in English. Les Parties aux présentes ont expressément convenu que ce contrat de même que tous les documents s’y rattachant soient rédigés en anglais seulement.
If you have any questions, please contact the Art Show Director, Jannie Shea, via email at: